Monday, January 20, 2014

Session 11 Synopsis

Real Date: December 30, 2013
In-Game Date: December 23-24, 2011
Session Title: Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
Memorable Quote
  Colton: "Fire in the hole!"

The group looked around at the various buildings surrounding them trying to figure out where the keys to the choppers could be.  Within a couple minutes several more Zombies could be seen making their way directly to their location.  Chet and Colton prepared the MP5s and waited for the growing number of targets to move into range.  As the two took aim, a pair of Zombies fell to the ground before either of their triggers were pulled - what sounded like suppressed gunfire could be made out from somewhere in the area.  Several additional Zombies flowed into the road joining the rest as they closed in on the group (1).

Now within MP5 range, Chet and Colton began taking shots and Greg tightened his grip on his trusty crowbar.  The group held position around the choppers and mystery shots continued to rain down on the attackers, but soon the group was engaged in close combat.  As Greg was hacking away at the nearest Zombie, he felt a sting on his right arm.  Looking down quick, it appeared as though a bullet had grazed him leaving a small tear in his shirt that was slowly turning red from the bleeding underneath.

The current group of Zombies were getting under control, but more could be seen approaching from around the various buildings.  Greg scanned the buildings and saw someone signaling from the third floor for the group to go to the east side of the building (2).  The group hustled around the building and were met with a locked metal door.  After a tension filled 30 seconds of waiting, the door clicked open and the group filed inside.

A man in a military uniform ushered them inside and locked the door behind them.  He then led them up the stairwell with a very noticeable limp.  After traversing a hallway littered with empty cans and bottles, Martínez (or “Martini” as his friends used to call him) introduced himself as he opened the door to a room laid out like an apartment.  Martínez quickly grabbed a remote and clicked off the TV and DVD player which he had left on in after rushing out to open the door.

The group looked at him kind of funny and made an inquiry about the power.  Martínez explained that there are some big gennies in the basement with plenty of fuel to feed them.  He then casually mentioned that if anyone wanted to take a hot shower that the water heater was powered as well.  Martínez said everyone could help themselves to the food as long as military rations were palatable - he had eaten plenty of them and could hardly stand to look at them anymore.  He quickly asked everyone if they happened to have anything to 'drink' as he had run out a week or so ago.

Once the group had cleaned up and eaten, Martínez mentioned that the huge building to the west was a Boeing plant and early in the outbreak was converted to be a shelter.  Thousands of refugees were moved in fairly quickly, but eventually things went bad and the refugee camp was overrun from the inside and outside.  The tanks stationed around the base eventually went silent and most of the military personnel were now walking dead.  Martínez continued by explaining his leg - in the first couple days of the event he was shooting from the roof of the building they were currently in, slipped, and fell three stories to the ground.  The rest of his group went out to bring back a doctor for his leg.  Greg took a professional look as Martínez pulled up his pant leg to reveal a poorly healed compound fracture.  His group left himself and one other soldier behind about three weeks ago and they hadn't returned yet.  The other soldier died only a day after the others went out...

The group noticed a small sniper nest built up in the corner of the room now holding a suppressed AR15 (not military issue) back from the window with a perfect view out onto the helicopters below.  Martínez asked why the group was interested in the choppers and if anyone was a pilot - he had enough rations and isolation (and lack of drinks) to drive him near crazy and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Greg and Chet explained their plan and included that they had a chopper pilot on-call.  Martínez then revealed from under his shirt a necklace with a key on it and exclaimed 'lets go!'.

After packing up some supplies and deciding on what to bring to the chopper, Greg and Colton prepared to head out to the radio to call in the pilot.  Only a few Zombies were around the door and a dozen or so around the chopper.  After making quick work of them Greg and Colton moved quietly towards the chopper while Chet and Martínez remained behind to get the supplies staged at the stairway door.

M134 Minigun
Greg successfully made contact with the pilot and informed him that the bird was fueled and ready to fly.  The pilot confirmed and said he would be on the ground in 20 minutes.

Colton went back to the building to relay the news and begin carrying supplies out to the chopper.  With a little time to spend, Colton checked out the Miniguns on each side of the chopper.  Unfortunately, both ammo bins were empty.  He decided to sneak over to the other chopper to do a quick search.  To his surprise, one of the guns seemed to have jammed leaving about 100 rounds left linked in the bin.  With some effort and help from Chet, the rounds were taken back to the other chopper.

A couple hundred rations, a can of 500 5.56 rounds, and another can of 500 rounds of 9mm later, everyone was at the chopper and ready to go.  A few Zombies began drawing near the chopper, but were held off by the group.  Greg fired up the engine a few minutes before the expected arrival of the pilot.  A larger set of Zombies began making their way towards the chopper.

As the larger wave began closing in, a small helicopter dropped down from the sky and a man fast-roped down next to the chopper.  After a quick check of the gauges, the pilot engaged the main rotor and the group was in the air out of the reach of the grasping claws below.

Greg pointed in the direction of where they parked the Cessna and the pilot moved the aircraft towards it with plans to get their supplies.  Unfortunately, it appeared as though the large herd had broken up and hundreds of Zombies now littered the runway searching for food.  The pilot suggested they try back later and pulled the chopper up to a fairly high altitude and headed east.

After a few minutes in the air the chopper made a quick vertical decent and landed at another airbase that the group did not recognize (1).  The chopper pilot, who didn't do a great job of introducing himself, told the group to sit tight and someone would be out here soon to get things sorted out.  Several individuals could be seen patrolling around the area.

A few minutes later, four guys came out from one of the buildings and asked the group to come inside.  He introduced himself as 'Dean' and welcomed them to "Peachtree".

The group headed into the large building to the south and then into a large conference room that had several mattress pads stacked up in one corner of the room.  Dean thanked the group for their part in acquiring the helicopter.  He arranged for some food to be brought in and then described what the next part of the plan was.  Dean explained that he and Rich (from the Fulton airport) were part of an organization called United New America (or UNA).  They believe the outbreak was somehow caused by China and Russia in a plot to take over the country.  A group was sent to silence the radio broadcast and retrieve the Chinese operatives at the radio station in hopes of gaining more information about their plans.  Only the first part of the plan was achieved - the radio broadcast summoning everyone to the Chinese camp had stopped.  There has been no communication from the group since the signal went off.  The group was sent in three Hummers - each equipped with a radio.

Chet inquired as to what proof the UNA had about their theory and Dean responded that it was pretty obvious given their quick set up of camps.  Getting their hands on the operatives would give them even more 'proof'.  After a few more questions and talking, it was decided that the Blackhawk would drop the group near the station in the morning and then return to pick them up in the same spot an hour before sundown.  With that, Dean left the group to get some rest for the night.

Dean had some food for breakfast brought in for the group and final arrangements were made before taking off.  One member of the UNA would go with the group and they would take off immediately.  Everyone gathered their gear and headed to the chopper.

In a matter of minutes the chopper was in the air and gained altitude.  The UNA individual introduced himself as Jimmy.  Not much for words, but he seemed sensible and fairly comfortable with the handling of his AR.  Several minutes later they were again on the way back down and landing on a four lane highway and exiting out onto the pavement (1).

Radio Station Overview

End of Barrier (2 - above)
A few dispersed Zombies could be seen using binoculars meandering up and down the highway, but no immediate threats were seen.  Cautiously, the group headed along the noise barrier towards the radio station (blue line).  Soon, they came to where the barrier ended and decided to head into the woods.

A handful of Zombies were encountered and dispatched fairly quietly as the group headed up the hill to the station.

Back of building

Soon they arrived at the back side of a building.  Both the east and west sides of the building contained many Zombies making travel not advised.  A door in the center of the building then became the focus.  It was slightly ajar and shuffling around could be heard within.  Greg opened it up to reveal a few Zombies and allowed the MP5s to mow them down.  Several more Zombies began pouring out and as the moans rang out the floodgates opened and a dozen replaced each that was shot down.  Jimmy's trigger finger began getting a bit itchy, but Chet and Greg were able to convince him to stick with silent weapons for the time being and keep things as quiet as possible for as long as possible.

More and more Zombies poured out of the building and limply rolled down the hill after meeting crowbar, MP5 round, or Jimmy's hatchet.  Zombies from both sides of the building began closing in on the back door ruckus.  Eventually Colton decided it was time to make a move and yelled out 'Fire in the hole!!!' as he pulled the pin and pitched a grenade through a brief opening in the door.  The explosion was enough to blow a few zombies out the door and throw those inside down to the floor which allowed the group to at least make their way inside the building.

The group found themselves some type of elongated room resembling a wide hallway.  Dozens of Zombies engulfed the group and engaged in close (very close) combat.  After a few brushes with death, the group began pushing towards a door on the left side of the hallway.  With an exhausting effort, all party members were finally able to push their way to the door.  Greg checked the door and, as expected, found it to be locked.  The rest of the group covered him as he wedged his now messy crowbar into the door jam and popped the lock.  After another struggle to escape the grasp of the Zombies, everyone was able to regroup inside the room and hold the door shut long enough to catch their breath.

Greg drug over a desk to help Chet and Colton hold door shut from the Zombie onslaught.  In one corner of the room were the remains of two people who looked like they had been...carefully...eaten.   As Greg continued to assess the room, he heard a groan from one of the two couches.  Approaching with crowbar at hand, Greg found a severely dehydrated man on the couch.  If he could be hooked up to an IV and had proper care and a few weeks to recover he probably could be brought back to health, but out here it wasn't looking good.  Looking to a second couch, the remains of a lady lie motionless.  A quick look did not reveal any bite marks and Greg's professional opinion is that she died of dehydration as the guy was about to do.  A second door was noticed as well with heavy Zombie traffic easily audible through it.  Chet climbed up on the desk and investigated the drop ceiling as a means of exit, but unfortunately it was only dropped down a few inches and provided no way of escape.

Soon both doors were being pounded on and showed signs of giving out.  The group looked through the vertically narrow windows surrounding most of the room as their only way out.  Heads of Zombies bobbed past the windows as they made their way to the rear entrance of the building.  Greg and Jimmy managed to blow out part of the glass and Greg cleared out as much of the broken shards with his crowbar in preparation for a clean exit.  Several arms of Zombies reached into the now open window.  Greg switched to his shotgun and blew back enough of them for Colton to jump outside near the edge of the woods.  The others followed suit and all but Jimmy were able to make a clean exit.  Jimmy was tripped up on one of the Zombies at the window and ended up on the ground.  A a pair of Zombies were drug down on top of him and began gnashing their teeth as they attacked.  He cried out and Greg and Colton cleared the Zombies off of him while trying to fend off the now growing group around them.

The group fought their way back into the woods and retreated at full speed attempting to lead any followers to the north (green line on Radio Station Overview map).  After making a loop in the forest, the group made their way back to where the sound barrier ended and they first entered the woods (2).  The group moved further out into the road and began looping back into the woods.  Zombies could be heard crashing through the forest and the group continued their pace.  Jimmy fell down on the pavement, but quickly righted himself.  As the group looked back after a few more steps they saw Jimmy do an about-face and march back towards the sound barrier.  Several rounds of rifle fire could be heard, followed by another set of shots as Jimmy disappeared back into the woods.

The group continued without Jimmy back up the hill in a more grassy area and saw the three Humvees that Dean had mentioned down by some railroad tracks (4). One of them sported a .50 cal on top, but no rounds could be seen feeding it.  A few rounds of MP5 cleared out the hillside and the group was able to continue on and move in towards what looked to be a residential area (5).

Several more rifle shots rang out in the woods towards the direction that Jimmy went followed by a few seconds of silence, concluded by a single large caliber handgun shot.

At the top of the hill, a once quiet residential road meandered through the trees encircling a set of townhouses.   The first in the row appeared to have been gutted by a fire and the group didn't investigate any further given the lack of a front door.  The second looked to be fully intact and was found to be unlocked.  No Zombies turned up after a cursory look and the group took to the second floor overlooking a small open area enclosed by the set of townhouses.

A half dozen Zombies meandered around the open area and were quietly mopped up by MP5 fire from Chet and Colton.

The group all breathed a sigh of relief and tried to figure out a Plan B...

Zombie Destruction Totals
CharacterSessionAll Time

Human Interaction Totals


No comments:

Post a Comment